Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My Journey To Become A Super Hero: Part 1

All of my life I have wanted to be a Super Hero.  I've wanted to possess unique and awesome powers, fight villians, crusade for good, be a role model for young women and wear a super cool flashy outfit.

When I was a little girl, I went through three distinct phases of Super Hero career aspirations. No one phase is more awesome than the other and they all taught me what I needed to know to get me this much closer to my ultimate goal of being a Super Hero.

Phase 1: The Care Bear Phase-Taught Me About Attitude
 
I learned a lot from these Bears.  I learned that working solo to save the world is a lot harder than working with a team of like-minded individuals who possess unique but complimentary talents.  I also learned that being cute and loveable does not detract from your ability to seriously improve the world.  Most importantly I knew, after my time with the care bears, that I wanted to be like Funshine Bear.  I wanted to be happy, bright, and fun and be able to improve lives simply by looking at people.

Phase 2: The Jem and the Holograms Phase-Taught Me About Image

Jem and the Holograms taught me all about being flashy and creating the right image or persona.  I learned that in order to truly make a statement as a Super Hero I was going to need to have really crazy hair, awesome glittery outfits, side-kicks with purple and blue hair and most importantly: my own theme song.
These ladies don't blend in, but it doesn't matter because they get the job done!


Phase 3: The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Phase-Taught Me About Skills


The Ninja Turtles- should be enough said.  From these guys I learned a bit more about what kind of skills I'd need as a Super Hero. These guys are goofy, eat pizza, have rocking names (for those of you who don't know they are all named after hugely famous artists) and they are pretty bad a** martial artists. Admittedly, I need to brush up on my martial arts skills but I got my initial, butt kicking inspiration from the Turtles.

All in all, I learned a lot during my early years of Super Hero education.  I learned about the kind of attitude, image and some of the skills necessary to be a Super Hero. But I learned even more in the later years.  Stay tuned for Part 2 of My Journey To Become A Super Hero.

2 comments:

  1. Meg...I'm looking forward to part 2 & the revelations about where you are now in the super hero quest... assuming the quest will continue to evolve! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 1 represents my childhood years. Part 2 represents the teenage years and Part 3 is now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your opinion