Saturday, October 2, 2010

My Journey To Become A Super Hero: Part II

During my childhood, I learned a lot about becoming a Super Hero from the Care Bears, Jem and The Holograms and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

In my late teens and early twenties the influences shifted to movies.

I had grown up watching 80's classics like Star Wars, Flashdance, Top Gun, Karate Kid and Dirty Dancing but it wasn't until I was in my teens that I really gleaned knowledge, that only these movies could provide. Knowledge that has propelled me along the grueling path to becoming a Super Hero.

With Flashdance and Dirty Dancing I solidified my love of dance and 80's pop music. All Super Heroes need hobbies. But most importantly, I learned about the importance of having a Back-up Plan
The flashy dancing welder, from Flashdance, taught me about the importance of a day job when persuing your dreams. That's right ladies and gentleman, I'm only a personal trainer and group exercise instructor until I can become a full-time Super Hero. And yes, you guessed it, this Super Hero is always going to be a dancer.


With Top Gun I learned all about the importance of a wingman.  The odds of surviving any tricky situation dramatically increase with a wingman, at least that was always the case in high school!



Star Wars taught me to be absolutely sure I wasn't adopted and to always be wary of the dark side.  It is tempting, it is ever present and it is strong.  The dark side isn't just a way of life, its also those who seek to crush your dreams.  I'm always wary of those who laugh at people with goals, and you should be too, even if their goals are lofty like becoming a Super Hero.


With the movie Karate Kid, I recognized the importance of discipline and having good teachers.  When you want to master the kind of serious skills necessary to become a Super Hero you need to have outstanding teachers and rock hard discipline and determination.

Looking back on my teenage years I know that I could have worked harder and played less, but I'm pleased that I took what I did from those years. Thanks to the awesome movies of the 80's,  I entered my twenties well positioned and much closer to accomplishing my goal of becoming a Super Hero.

Stay tuned for Part III in my Journey to Become a Super Hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your opinion